Yeah, I know it’s June, but this project took me a little while longer than I thought it would. Two years ago, I bought an old picnic basket at the Hartville flea market on Memorial Day weekend (last year, I bought a guitar - this year, I got away with only a chair). I took it home and cleaned it up, but it was obvious that it had been living in someone’s garage for a very long time. So, I wanted to make a liner that could be removed for washing.
I started with two contrasting fabrics (because they only had about 3/4 yard of the one I really liked). I measured the basket - around the inside and around the outside - and I made a pattern out of the lid. I added around 3″ to the top of both for the drawstring casing and foldover. I added an elasticised pocket inside for silverware and a tie on the lid for napkins and a tablecloth. Then I pulled out the napkins and tablecloth that I started last year and finished hemming them for good measure.
I put velcro tabs in the back around the hinges so that the foldovers would look unbroken (I used narrow bias to bind the edges). I left the wrap around the handles open because I figured the drawstring would give the illusion of fabric across the bottom, and I was right. I’m pleased with the final product (and just in time, because summer picnic season is just around the corner). The new basket is wider across the bottom than my old one, making it easier to stack in plates and cups, and I always thought it was gross that the other liner was glued in and I couldn’t wash it (yuck!).
Next month, I think I’m going to work on bedroom curtains. I have fabric and a plan, so I’m good to go!